Learn how to perform system administration in a Power Systems environment. Learn about the features of PowerVM Editions and how to configure and manage LPARs running AIX V7.1 using the Hardware Management Console (HMC).
This course is appropriate for system administrators, technical support individuals, and IBM business partners who implement LPARs on IBM Power Systems.
- Describe important concepts that are associated with managing POWER8 processor-based systems, such as logical partitioning, dynamic partitioning, virtual devices, virtual processors, virtual consoles, virtual local area network (VLAN), and shared processors
- Describe the features of the PowerVM editions
- Describe the functions provided by the HMC
- Configure and manage the HMC, including users and permissions, software, start and shutdown, remote access features, network configuration, security features, HMC backup and restore options, and the HMC reload procedure
- Describe the rules that are associated with allocating resources, including dedicated processors, processing units for Micro-Partitioning, memory, logical host Ethernet adapter, and physical I/O for AIX and Linux partitions.
- Configure and manage LPARs by using the HMC graphical user interface (GUI) and HMC commands
- Interpret physical and AIX location codes and relate to the key hardware components
- Power on and power off the Power Systems server
- Use the HMC to back up and restore partition data
- Perform dynamic LPAR operations (DLPAR)