This course will teach you how to use shell scripts and utilities for practical system administration of AIX (or other UNIX) operating systems.
Learning Journeys that reference this course:
- Power AIX Users
This course is for support staff for AIX on POWER systems
You should have:
- An understanding of programming fundamentals: variables, flow control concepts such as repetition and decision.
- A working knowledge of AIX including the use of the vi editor, find and grep commands.
Students without this experience should attend AIX Basics (AN10G).
- Basic shell concepts
- Flow control in a shell Script
- Functions and typeset
- Shell features such as arithmetic and string handling
- Using regular expressions
- Using sed, awk and other AIX utilities
After completing this course, you should be able to:
• Distinguish Korn and bash shell specific features
• Use utilities such as sed and awk to manipulate data
• Understand system shell scripts such as /etc/shutdown
• Write useful shell scripts to aid system administration